Rain Barrel and Cistern Rebate Guidelines
- Each service address is eligible for up to four rain barrels or one cistern rebate.
- Rain barrels must have a minimum capacity of 50 gallons.
- Cisterns must have a capacity of at least 200 gallons. Please check with your City to see if cisterns are allowed under the municipal code.
Rebate amounts vary by size:
200-500 gallons $250
501-999 gallons $300
1,000+ gallons $350
- Rain barrels and cisterns must be purchased as a unit; they may not be homemade using separate parts/pieces.
- Barrels/cisterns must have a cover to prevent mosquitos, rodents and debris from entering.
- Cisterns must be constructed of rigid material that holds its shape. Collapsible, soft-sided cisterns are not allowed.
- Cisterns should be elevated 6 inches off the ground on a solid foundation and must be mounted in a way that does not impede water from a downspout.
- Rebates do not apply to sales tax and labor charges.
To claim your rain barrel or cistern rebate:
Step 1: Purchase a rain barrel or cistern at any hardware store, home and garden store or online.
Step 2: Complete rebate application.
Step 3: Mail application with a copy of the sales receipt and water bill to:
Thinking Green Consultants
P.O. Box 3268
La Habra, CA 90632-3268
You will receive a check in 8-10 weeks.
For more information, contact Thinking Green Consultants at (855) 512 -1221.